Hey friends! Happy New Year to you <3 I am seriously in shock of what 2017 brought into my life, including my blog. 2017 showed me the true value of my relationship with God, the definition of work, how to know my worth, when to step out my comfort zone and how to let go of fear. One of my biggest learning experiences was from quitting my first post-grad full time job in September. You can read all about that here! While reflecting on 2017, I know that so many people are creating their resolutions for 2018 and goals they are working towards. Though I do have resolutions, much of what I want will be a work in progress throughout this year and the years to come. So today, I’m sharing things I want more of and things I want less of in 2018. In the comments, let me know if you are hoping for more or less of anything in your life and how you plan on accomplishing it.
- Complaining – Y’all, I wish I could say that I rarely complain and that I count my blessings over and over again, as I should. But honestly, that is so far from the truth. All throughout 2017, I have been reminded of how fortunate I am to have friendships, money, education, health, God, a roof over my head and more. In 2018, I want to complain less and change how I look at tasks. Instead of saying “I have to”, I want to change that narrative to “I get to”.
- Comparing – I feel like this is always on my list but this year I am really working towards no longer playing the comparison game. In today’s society, especially in the blogging world, it is so easy to compare yourself to people that you don’t know. You have no idea how hard they work or where they have come from or what they go through when they are alone or what is on their heart but somehow, we judge them based off the little bits of their life that we see and find ways to make ourselves feel less than or smaller than them. I don’t want that anymore.
- Fear – Writing about fear makes me shake in my boots, literally. Fear (of failure + self-doubt) has stopped me from making so many changes. I overcame a huge fear of leaving my full-time job to change fields and dig deeper into blogging last year but fear kept me from applying to law school, kept me from moving across the country (when I really needed a change) and from securing the love I knew I needed/deserved. In 2018, I am letting go of fear and any other feelings attached to it. 2018 is the year I crush my fears.
- Waiting – In 2018, I am done with waiting. This includes waiting on myself to get it together or waiting for myself (AKA always running late) everyday. I just want to get rid of waiting. This includes waiting to live out my dreams. If 2017 taught me nothing else, it showed me that A N Y T H I N G you want, you can have. This year I chasing every dream that I have and acting out the desires of my heart.
- Jesus – Simply put, in 2018 I need more Jesus. God showed up and showed out in 2017, y’all. There were so many times I thought I would break or crumble or fall but God had my back. In 2017 I sought God in the darkest parts of my life! In the secrets I’ve held on to, in the insecurities I’ve had for so long and in the feelings of not being good enough. There are so many things I let go and let God have in 2017. I saw that the battle is not mine, it’s the Lords and I need to act accordingly. For all my believers out there, I hope that you exceed all of your spiritual goals this year and trust God in all his ways.
- Patience – If we’re being completely honest y’all, I pray for patience every single day. I need it every single day. Patience has always been a shortcoming for me but, I must change that. Patience with myself and with others is at the very top of what I need more of this year and I plan on taking small steps every day with my own patience and tolerance to accomplish it.
- Giving – As much as I love to have and make, I love to give. My heart has always lit up when the thought of being able to give has crossed my mind. In 2017, I gave to things that were important to me: church, girls’ education and local community engagement. In 2018, each of these items are more important to me and I want to be able to express that in my giving. If you want to join me on my journey of giving, check out: She’s The First & Third Street Community Center.
- Life – This last one is the hardest to explain because it includes so much. I want more travel in my life. I want more love in my life. I was more forgiveness in my life. I want more experiences in my life. I want more understanding in my life. I want more life in my life.
Well friends, that’s all that I have for today. I pray that each of you crush your 2018 goals before you plan to and live the life that you were created for. I would love to know about your goals + resolutions, so drop a comment below. -xo, Azanique <3